top of page
The Location of the New Home
The membership voted and decided to construct a new building. After exploring numerous locations for the new building, the membership decided on a parcel of ground adjacent to the burnt building. The parcel acquired, belonged to the late Dr. Beattie estate, and to the late Vernon Kisro.
The Location of the New Home
Ground was broken. Construction began on a steel building, erected by Perryville Steel Products, Co. It was a Butler-Prefab building. Mr. Frank D. Emdorfer, Jr. helped plan the construction. Since the insurance money received from the burned building was not sufficient to construct a new building, members came forward and offered to loan money toward the purchase of the land and the building of a new Council Home
The Steel is up
A committee was formed to contact members for money. After the money was raised, construction began. Several members offered to loan more money if needed but no members had to be approached for the second time. In 15 years the last member had his money paid back with interest.
The Frame is up
In the new building a club room was added. It was opened to the members and the public. The first club manger was Herbert Meyer, since he had life-time experience as manager at the Wolff Meat Market. It didn’t take him long to get the club room into operation. A bartender was needed, and Ike Moll was hired. Ike did a great job, until he passed away one evening while on the job. Harvey York then took over and ran the club for years until business dropped and the club couldn’t support a full t
Those famous 1960"s Fish Fry's
Fish suppers helped raise money to pay for the building. A kitchen committee was formed with the following in charge: Mr. & Mrs. James Cragan, Mr. & Mrs. Leo Schuhmacher, Mr. & Mrs. Frank Otten, Mr. & Mrs. Roy Engelkenjohn. Other members and their wives helped occasionally. The fish frys were held every Friday night for many years. The Knights of Columbus Fish Fry became a popular place for some great food on Friday evenings for Catholics and non-Catholics
The Building Nearly Complete
It would be unfair to continue without mentioning all the outstanding Brother Knights that have served council 1952. Naming all of our outstanding Brother Knights would be impossible. So many did so much behind the scenes to make the happenings of council 1952 a reality. The charitable works of the council has continued since the institution day. Many organizations, individuals and community programs have benefited from the generosity of council 1952.
The Dedication Group
The finished Building circa 1964
April 12, 1964 was a joyous day for the members of Council 1952, as the new building was dedicated by Reverend Leo Reinhardt and his assistants. The ribbon was cut by Grand Knight Robert Lewis.
Signing the Guest book
The Guest Book has never been found. It would be interesting seeing all the names that were located in the book
Blessing and Dedication
Father Reinhardt dedicated the new Council Home. Msgr. Teck was Chaplain but he was in failing health.
Dedication Day 1964
Grand Knight Robert Lewis cuts the ribbon dedicating the new KC Hall. It was a Butler Building made from 90% Steel, much more fireproof.
Old KC Bartenders
This picture was taken in the old KC Hall around 1963. Front Row L-R Milton Gross, Francis Gross, Cletus Renner, Back Row L-R Paul Dunker, Les Heck, Mildred Heck, James Biethman and Myran Modglin
OLD KC HALL BAR ROOM circa 1963
Tragedy struck Council 1952 on the Evening of January 17, 1963. According to a dated account given in the Evansville Enterprise: Fire fighting equipment from Red Bud, Sparta, Baldwin and Chester joined the Evansville Fire Department in attempting to control the blaze, which broke out shortly after 6 p.m. The blaze was brought under control in two hours with only the remodeled brick front and part of the wooden rear wall left standing. NO ONE WAS IN THE BUILDING AT THE TIME OF THE FIRE
Dedication of the OLD KC Hall circa
Handing over the keys, L-R Gilbert Bauer, Joe Bauer, Leo Gross and Robert Lewis. Extensive renovations were done on the Old KC Hall in 1963. The upstairs Hall was completely renovated and updated. Very few people saw the updates since the building caught fire and burned before any public events were held in the upstairs hall.
bottom of page